Thursday, June 4, 2009

Our baby bird

On our way in from playing in the sprinklers I found a birds nest that had been hidden in our eaves near the front door. The wind blew so hard yesterday I assume it just got blown down. We found all the little baby birds in every direction on the pavement. It was heart breaking. I picked the nest up and when I turned it over there was one last survivor. I perched the nest back into the closest tree. Mama bird never came back. That night, Caden reminded me about the bird and thought it would be too cold for it. So we brought it into the house. I took the heat lamp form the turtle cage to warm it up. The next morning I came down to check on the bird and it was continuously squeaking and opening its mouth in search for food. I did some research on line and started to feed it tiny pieces of fruit and chicken. When the boys woke up, they were so excited. They named him "Tweetie". I did more research and found out that a mama bird feeds their babies about 400 times a day (that is about every 15 minutes) and I could feed it baby food with a syringe. The boys and I would take turns feeding Tweetie. Well Tweetie made it two days, and he finally went to bird heaven. The third night we had him, I think he died of starvation. I had to sleep, I couldn't possibly feed it every 15 minutes. Sorry Tweetie.
 

 

 
Posted by Picasa