Monday, May 11, 2009

Santa Barbara Fires

Here are pictures form the devastating fire in Santa Barbara that Erin was fighting. Whenever Erin goes out on a strike team I am usually worried sick. I always pray to God and ask for protection and safety for Erin and his crew. This particular fire exhausted me. It seems the wind and the weather conditions were not giving up. I was glued to the tv, and hour by hour I would hear another firefighter was injured. Erin would call, text me and send pictures throughout the days and nights. One night I received a text at 2 a.m. with him telling me how exhausted he was and still not having slept for over 56 hours. On top of the exhaustion, he was fatigued, hungry, dehydrated and his sleeping conditions were the worst... on a cot with no sleeping bag. All I could do was pray for him. Erin was gone for 6 days. By the fourth day I could no longer watch it on tv because the kids were becoming very worried and having their own anxieties with him not being home for that long. Thank heaven I know God protects him and I am comforted that he will always return to us safely.