Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Our little hatchlings

 

About three weeks ago, I would continually find these itsy bitsy praying mantis in the corner of our kitchen. It was the weirdest thing. I would find one, and it was about half the size of a finger nail, and then a few days would pass.... and I would find another one or even two. Well this past weekend when I saw three crawling around, I knew they were coming from some where. I had an old Bible in the corner form my God mother dated 1948... I wondered if they were miraculously coming from there? It was very strange. Then I found this brown thing that Caden had found in our front yard. It resembled some sort of cocoon, but looked very different from a caterpillar cocoon. And as I held it, a baby praying mantis emerged from this cocoon. We have now hatched about 15 of them. It is a pretty amazing process, seeing them emerge form this cocoon. Another one of God's amazing creations. We have been feeding them leaves. Davin is just thrilled that we are taking care of them. In the next few days we are going to let them be free in our backyard.
Posted by Picasa